Has anyone dealt with a problem with the microwave?
Centex installed the "Sharp Insight Pro" in our units. We have had our unit for three years now. The problem is that the microwave makes a slight grinding noise when closed as if it is trying to close further. It works fine, except for that grinding noise when closed. I turned off the breaker switch for the microwave so we don't have to listen to it. I searched online and it might be the "Mangnetron" that has failed. They also mentioned online that... "Ensure you get a firm "Quote" before proceeding, and remember these days the cost of repair can equal or exceed the price of a new one."
If you have dealt with this problem, who did you call and what was the cost?
Aloha, Ray Beltran
10 comments:
Ray,
I have not had that problem yet. I am dreading it. One of the common problems with a drawer like microwave (similar to a DVD tray)is that the gears get stripped. Since I rent my Villa I am always worried that this is what will happen. It does not take much to cause the problem. Short of having some one look at it you will not know. I will suggest to the board that we have a list of all the maintenance problems with the appliances.
I am having a difficult time with our AC units Critchfield has been out twice in the past two weeks and numerous times before that. I cannot help but think the problem is not just limited to me since I have heard others complaining. I am now keeping my own log. I did have warranty work done on it that was supposed to fix the problems but that has not been the case. We still get the red stare of death from the controller when it fails.
Damian Ameen
O-223
Aloha Damian, hope your family is doing great on the "East Cold", I mean "East Coast". hopefully it isn't too cold over there.
Thanks for the feedback on the microwave and the A/C unit.
Another Beach Villas owner, Jim, wrote... "Thanks for the heads up Ray. So far , no issue except when it opens and closes. If you we have a liquid being heated or cooked, it will spill over due to the rapid stop at both, opening and closing."
I wrote him back... "Aloha Jim, yes that is an annoying problem as well.
I'm thinking of just replacing it with a high quality standard, open / close door unit."
I'll keep you posted on the solution to our microwave issue.
Aloha, Ray
I agree that spillage is a PITA with this microwave. The hard part replacing it with a standard one is the location. The space is very small and you would have to bend way over to put things in and out of it, which could be dangerous with hot items. There is nowhere else to put it with out redoing the kitchen. We for one are not impressed with the actual functionality of the kitchens. They may look good but when you actually try to use them not so impressive.
Damian Ameen
O-223
Has anyone replaced any of the appliances in your units with a different brand? Dryer? Dishwasher?
Damian, what specific problems are you having with the AC/heat pump? I wish I could replace the thermostat with a simpler one, but I'm sure there would be a warranty issue..
We have not replaced any of the appliances yet.
If you replace the thermostat you will want to check on the warranty first. If you do replace. you will need one that has the ability to shut the A/C off when the sliding doors are open. I'm pretty sure you won't find it at a "Home Depot" type store.
I am also having issues with a broken hinge in the master bedroom window and the main sliding pocket door is grinding when moved even tho it has been raised for movement. I reported this months ago and was told the rep for the windows and doors will come out when he has more service issues to make it worth his while. I got his number from Paul and called him direct, however, he doesn't sound motivated or organized. I got the impression he has too much on his plate.
There is a new problem that's come. The stove top elements shut down even tho there is still power to the stove top as indicated by the small red lights that alert you of the hot stove top. I turn off the breaker switch and when I turn it back on the cook top elements work again. Anyone had this issue?
Ray Beltran
With regard to the A/C is that it shuts down and give us the red stare of death. I am not sure what the error since I am not there. I am waiting for Crutchfield to let me know what is wrong...but I never seem to get the report.
I know Wilf Brooks has replaced his with standard front loading machines and I believe they work very well. There has been no negative so far.
Damian
I have had problems with most of my appliances, stove elements not working, oven takes forty five minutes to heat up to 350, A/C problems, dishwasher and dryer does not work properly. I contacted Kings Appliance on North Shore and was told the problem was the voltage coming into the units was lower then recommended. Contacted Appliance Service Group, they came out and charged me $82 to tell me that the voltage coming into my unit was 196 when it should be around 240/220 and there was nothing they could do, the equipment is working the best it could. Bruce Sloan was contacted concerning the voltage problem coming into the building. Both towers were tested and the voltage was 203 coming into each building and goes down as it enters the units. When the voltage was tested in 2007 it was 207. Paul Tateishi (with Pulte) is aware of the problem and has never worked in a building where the voltage fluctuates as much as the Beach Villas. HECO has also been out and tested their equipment which was perfect (273) and they believe the problem is with the "step down". The board is aware of the issue and
is hiring a company to look at the electrical problems due to high energy bills. This problem is also putting a strain on the equipment motors in our units. I contacted SubZero/Wolf customer service and was told their appliances work best at 240. My problems still exist since my unit tests around 196 and 203 voltage. It's another problem Centex left us with!
Both Bosch and Wolf require 240/208 volts. If the condos in the Beach Villas are a lower voltage the equipment is not going to work properly. Motors will burn out.
Post a Comment